Friday, October 20, 2006

EAIP Post. (Excusable and Inexcusable Post Post).

I've been thinking a lot about what I find excusable and inexcusable in myself, the people around me and just the world in general.

Last night my class went out to a bar called Zanzibar and it bothered me that the sign said Zanzibar bar. That reminds me of how I almost chose Trinity College over UCD because UCD's placard says UCD Dublin, which is University College Dublin Dublin. Repeated words in signs are inexcusable.

So we sat in Zanzibar bar and the Americans drank Guinness. We all warmed up with the elation of sitting two inches away from people we knew only by comments in class and we had each others' breath on our ears because the music was too loud. I told and heard of secret insecurities, jokes and worries for the future. My favorite part was being asked so many questions and asking so many back. I can't remember the last time I was around so many questions; I especially can't remember the last time someone asked me to dance. I learned about a classmate's cocaine bout, another's time in Shanghai and the way another only dances with his shoulders. I split a cab home with Anne from Wicklow and Kara from Oklahoma and then went to bed purposefully and without taking my panic medication. I did wake up three hours later with fierce chills and a tight, fast chest so I took my pill then went back to an uneasy sleep hoping I wouldn't feel like a failure in the morning. I didn't. I think relying on something has finally become excusable to me.

Today I made a list of things to do because I was afraid that I would become lonesome on a listless day and therefore eat and spend money. I finished all on my list around 5PM and what did I do? I ate a week's calories then bought songs and shows on iTunes. Here I offer two little slices of advice free of charge:

1. Don't eat when you're bored because someday you'll be really bored and you'll eat a whole pizza with a half bottle of wine and some frosted flakes and then you'll pass out with your spiked bloodsugar and wake up 6 hours later bright and ready for the day, which is good, except that it's 12 AM.

2. Buy a song by The Weepies- maybe "Keep it There." I don't think you'll regret it. You wouldn't regret a song by M. Ward either. How about Chinese Translation? And if you're bored and have a buck to spare and if you like CSN&Y, buy "Tree Top Flyer" by Big Daddy O. Then decide you're sad that Nick Drake is dead and buy some Alexi Murdoch songs. Then listen to "Lord, Blow the Moon out Please" by Hem because I said so. Because spending money and time on music when you're a poor and busy student is a rebellious act against loneliness so excusable it's almost law.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel like I saw you dancing up a storm with some ridiculously good looking fellow at Remack's wedding. Odd, I must be wrong.

Jessica said...

I actually had to club Sean like a baby seal and then drag him onto the dance floor. He was also liquored up something fierce.

Moriah said...

I concur on the Weepies and Alexi Murdoch advice. I'm still using limewire though... aren't you an upstanding citizen of the earth to actually purchase your music!

Love and miss you ~ M

Anonymous said...

[url=http://dcxvssh.com]KBNVh[/url] , RHOVetanrBJYln , http://hhmgziigpu.com