Wednesday, June 21, 2006

REASONS FOR APPLICATION

Please explain your reasons for applying to the MA programme. Give details of your experience and interest in your proposed field of study. This statement is a key part of your application.


I called my housemate Sarah into my room two years ago. She sat on my bed and I on the hardwood floor and I said, "Listen."

"To what?" she asked.

"To this. ‘Would the departed never nowhere nohow reappear? Ever he would wander, selfcompelled, to the extreme limit of his cometary orbit, beyond the fixed stars and variable suns and telescopic planets, astronomical waifs and strays, to the extreme boundary of space, passing from land to land, among peoples, amid events.’"

"Woah," we said together.

This was our last semester of college. We were weary of our small campus and restless for the world. Joyce woke us up and kept us happy. During my senior year, I read "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," "Dubliners" and "Ulysses." Joyce’s writing knocked in my skull with a rhythm unique. His words--"rosesoft" and "softworded"-- slid down my throat. I was drunk on him and I’ve missed talking about him since.

Since my senior year I have surrounded myself with language. I’ve been an editorial assistant at Cambridge University Press and The American Association for Cancer Research. I appreciate the endurance of grammar and words more now than ever. The fact that I can correct a sentence on Fas-induced apoptosis without any knowledge of its meaning delights me. I’ve joined book clubs and been bold in writing workshops. I’ve befriended my local bookstore owners and given them a fortune in return for soft cover literary company. I’m ready, however, to rejoin academia. To study Ireland’s writers in Ireland seems right, and after much investigation, I’d like the MA in Anglo-Irish Literature to be my first step toward a Ph.d.

No comments: