Friday, September 15, 2006

A thousand apologies for how long this has taken. And then a few more.

Sean's and my family- you've heard this already, but we have learned new things if you want to check them out below.

It's taken a long time to update the blog because when I first got to good ol' Belfield, Ireland I went into a panicked, anti-sleeping, questioning all decisions I've ever made in my life state that I (of course) thought I would never leave. I was ready for the straight jacket, but I've gotten a load of sleep and feel much better now. As Sean said a few days ago, "Jess has finally arrived in Ireland."

We've been walking a lot and stumbling into a few welcome stereotypically Irish moments. The other day we saw a cemetary on a hillside with high, vivid grasses reaching up to the Celtic crosses on the gravestones. We heard an old man in a jeff cap ask another old man, "Who's your mummy?!" We read on the website "overheardindublin.com" a mom on a bus say, "But you HAVE to go to school!" to which her 5-year-old son replied, "I don't want to. I know a-fu*kin-nough.

things we've learned so far---

We miss everyone we know.
Convenience store french bread. Buy it. Eat it. Dream of it.
When the butthole whose house Sean lives in assumes he intricately knows my whole sordid and consumerist value system, the only thing that cheers me up is to assume his opinion of me and sing, "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died and gave their lives for me. And I'm going to stand up! next to her and defend her still today. 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. God bless the USAaaaaa"
Everyone says "You're okay?" instead of "May I help you." The first time this happened, I replied, "Oh, I'm great, thanks. How are you?" and after the woman said, "I'm fine." She stood there and I stood there and I waited for her to ask if she could help me. She said again, You're okay?" and I just stood there some more and looked at her.
Everyone dresses like Posh Spice. Everyone means guys too.
A pitch is a field.
The hash sign is the pound key on a telephone.
Tooken means taken (they do weird things with the past
tense a lot).
Dublin loves corn on its pizza.
Somehow, I don't know how, it's ridiculous I know, but Sean and I agree that almost every girl here looks
like they weave silk and gold into their locks and have professional make-up artists and almost every guy dyes his tips.
A can is a beer.
A biscuit is a cookie.
Take away means take out food.
They don't seem to laugh as much as Americans.
Look left when you're crossing the road or you will die.
It's super cool to smoke.
EVERYONE wears jeans, whoever said it was a tourist thing was a jackass.
All condiments in even nice restaurants come in packets and they are stingy with ketchup (or don't think we want as much as we actually want....like they give one packet at a time).
Black coffee means cafe americano which means espresso with water.
The Dominos guy informed us that the word dorm doesn't exist. It's residences.
Bulmer's cider smells like pee.


Even though I've been horrible at keeping in touch with every person I know and I don't deserve any letters or phone calls, here are my address and phone number. I fell behind in life but I pinky promise to be better.

Jessica Farris
Room No. G-10-10-05
Glenomena Residences
UCD
Belfield
Dublin 4, IRELAND

011 353 85 778 8985

No comments: