Friday, April 27, 2007

Ireland

No one knows when our exams are, just that they will not be before May 14th or after June 2nd. No one knows where they will be. How do I hand in these essays if the office is closed? No one knows when the thesis is even due. Is it the end of July or the middle of August? Websites disagree with professors disagree with administration disagrees with basic logic.

I've had an epiphany, and I've written it out Rosie-style in honor of her departure from The View.

So i bought toaster waffles
because id been craving them 4 a while
and the picture on the box, it looked really good
i bring em home stick em in the toaster
make some homemade syrup from brown sugar and a little butter
take em out all golden brown
dip a bite in my syrup
and GAG
why?
because they r POTATO WAFFLES

And it strikes me this is an apt analogy for my time here in Ireland. The toaster waffle called life sucks when I create a vision of what should happen, but when I free my brain of expectation and my entitlement to, you know, ever know what's going on here, I get a giant waffle-shaped french fry. And it's pretty finger-lickin'.

1 comment:

Moriah said...

I had literally the same experience with the potato waffles when I was in Edinburgh! I was so shocked, horrified, then amazed that such a smart invention wasn't common in the states. I must have lived off of them for at least a few weeks before the novelty wore off!

We'll have to have a few in honor of our experiences, when I'm there in a month!