Friday, February 09, 2007

Stacie and miscelena











I've had a hard time describing my time with Stacie to wondering classmates. I want to say, "you know when I make a hilarious joke in front of 30 Irish people and one of them maybe, sometimes, cracks a slanting smile? Well Stacie was opposite; she was opposite of that crap." *










I think my favorite part of our time together was talking loudly before bed and then exhaustedly exhaling and turning out the light. Oh and the time the cracked-tooth Brit hit on her so hard we had to run away while he was in the bathroom blowing his runny nose.

Really, I've had a hard time describing lots of things lately, which might explain the sparse updates. It's weird what disappears from my personality when I get so busy, namely, my ability to really judge how I'm feeling about things instead of just putting my head down and "powering through" as an old cube-mate used to say. My head is so down right now.

I try to bring it back up with these things every so sometimes...
Things I'm eating/looking at/ listening to/doing against my better judgment:

olives and hazelnuts
snow on the Wicklow mountains
Whitman reading "America"
jenny owen youngs
my neighbor killing birds?
Bulmers with classmates.
Yes, I said Bulmers.
I know I said it smelled like pee.
Um-hmm. It still does. Yes.
Well, I look past it in the light of camaraderie.
So what if I do only have one yellow tooth now?

*Pictures of her being opposite are up at flickr. If you go there, please note the offense of the third child in the eighth photo. This page came from a book aiming to highlight the atrocity of placing a child in jail for minor misdemeanors.

3 comments:

Faith said...

You look amazing in that picture. So smiley and happy (just like I always remember you). I left you a response to your comments over on my blog (and then realized you might not compulsively read my blog so I decided to come leave you a comment over here and alert you to the comment over there - did you follow all that?). I miss you (that's three times now, but that doesn't even begin to count all the times I have missed you).

Magpie said...

Is Stacie wearing a Jem and the Holograms t-shirt? She must be the coolest girl in the WORLD!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jess, for saying that I'm the opposite of crap! :) I had such a blast with you!! One of my favorite moments was definitely running away from the Brit as well! Other favorite moments include "stabbing a person in the face," yelling at foreign boys to shut up during the tour, and the little cafe after hiking down from Dun Aongasa (maybe it was because I was so hungry from vomitting up everything on the ferry, but that soup was delicious!) And yes, Magpie, I AM the coolest girl in the world. :) Nah, I think that honor goes to Jess!!!